Apps & media

PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore

At a glance:

  • Sony is reversing its strategy of releasing major single-player PlayStation games on PC, according to a Bloomberg report.
  • Hermen Hulst, head of PlayStation’s studios business, told staff in a town hall on Monday that the shift is immediate; online games will still launch on multiple platforms.
  • Microsoft’s new Xbox chief Asha Sharma is also reevaluating exclusivity, signaling a broader industry rethink of multi-platform releases.

What happened

Sony plans to stop releasing its major single-player PlayStation titles on PC, marking a significant reversal of a strategy that brought blockbusters like Spider-Man 2 and Ghost of Tsushima to desktop gamers. Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier reported that Hermen Hulst informed employees during a Monday town hall about the change. Schreier had previously broken the news in March, noting that Sony scrapped plans for PC versions of last year’s Ghost of Yōtei and “other internally developed games.”

Online games will still come to multiple platforms under the new direction, the report said. This means live-service titles like Helldivers 2 and Marathon will continue to see day-and-date releases on PC and PS5, as Hulst committed two years ago. But for single-player experiences, Sony is tightening the reins to drive console sales.

The games that had already made the jump

In recent years, Sony released several of its biggest franchises on PC, building a bridge to new players. The following titles were among those that reached PC:

  • Spider-Man 2
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • The Last of Us Part I and The Last of Us Part II
  • Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered
  • Helldivers 2 (live-service)
  • Marathon (live-service)

Hulst had previously described the company’s approach to single-player PC releases as “more strategic,” but the new move appears to end those releases entirely—at least for the biggest internally developed games.

Why the shift and what it signals

The about-face comes as Sony aims to strengthen the value proposition of its PS5 console exclusivity. By keeping flagship single-player titles off PC, the company hopes to drive hardware sales and maintain a premium experience tied to its ecosystem. The decision mirrors a sentiment echoed by Microsoft’s new Xbox chief, Asha Sharma, who told staff she is “reevaluating” exclusive games for the Xbox platform, suggesting the industry is in a period of flux over where and how to distribute top-tier content.

For PC players who have enjoyed Sony’s late ports, this news is a disappointment. For Sony investors, the move underscores a bet on hardware loyalty over multi-platform reach. The change is effective immediately, with no further single-player PC ports planned from the current internal pipeline. Observers will watch whether third-party exclusives or future live-service releases fill the void for PC gamers.

Editorial SiliconFeed is an automated feed: facts are checked against sources; copy is normalized and lightly edited for readers.

FAQ

Which PlayStation games are affected by this new PC release strategy?
Major single-player internally developed titles such as Ghost of Yōtei, Spider-Man 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us series, and Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered will no longer be released on PC. Live-service games like Helldivers 2 and Marathon will still come to PC day-and-date with their PS5 launch.
Will Sony ever release single-player games on PC in the future?
According to the Bloomberg report, the change in strategy is immediate and applies to internally developed titles. Sony has not ruled out future exceptions, but the current plan is to keep major single-player experiences exclusive to PlayStation consoles. The company’s live-service games remain the only category with a committed multi-platform release.
How does Microsoft’s Xbox strategy compare to Sony’s new approach?
Microsoft’s new Xbox chief, Asha Sharma, told staff she is ‘reevaluating’ exclusive games for the Xbox platform, indicating a similar reconsideration of multi-platform releases. While Sony is pulling back single-player PC ports, Microsoft may also tighten exclusivity. This suggests both console makers are reassessing how to balance hardware sales with broader distribution.

More in the feed

Prepared by the editorial stack from public data and external sources.

Original article